Monday, May 7, 2007

Football Gambling Among Thai Teens





“I don’t join much and spend only 50 baht for only to relax from stress. Some are hunger for huge amount of money and finally they have got big amount of dept.”
“I’ve lost around 30,000 baht and recovered by my parents who had to sell partial rice fields. I join football gambling for fun and it’s difficult for me to quit.”
These sentences are from teenagers express their experiences and pinion toward “Football Gambling” which has been wide spreading among youths.

It’s acceptable that “Football” is the most popular sport and has the largest numbers of players and viewers in the world. It always gets the attention from its viewers when the match begins such English Premiership, German Bundesliga, Italian Serie A, Spanish Liga and French ligue 1. These matches are being waited for by huge groups of teenagers in everywhere because there are many favorite and famous players of theirs fight for the champions.

As this situation exists, the terrible cycle has begun when football gambling has been introduced in our society. It is a social problem which remains and effects directly to students in every level who tend to pay more attention on this, especially boys and men. It is the cause of studying ignorance. Some has become male sex workers. Some commit crimes. Some have to quit their study and escape because of big dept amount.
Some have to ask for their poor family to help by selling their farmland.

I am not gambling lovers myself but I have experienced those situations from people around me. Most of them are my friends and classmates in university. Then I keep thinking as below questions.
Why the situation is like this?
What’s wrong with Thai male teens nowadays?
What are the causes of football gambling?
Is media the most influence channel to their behaviors?
How to avoid and deal with football gambling?

Come and Share your ideas! PLEASE!!!!

-----> Suwinai

3 comments:

potgarn said...

I think gambling for around 50-100 can make the game very exciting.Anyhow,if we continue gambling,we can be addicted to it and it would cost us a lot of money.I have seen my friends lost a lot of money from football gambling.
Some people don't have money to pay dept and they were beaten or even killed.This becomes a big problem for Thai teens.
It's hard to stop gambling in Thai or abroad. It depends on people's judgement to consider about disadvantage of gambling and control themselves not to spend to much for gambling.

dEKMORE said...

I am stingy. So, any kind of gambling will never get any baht from me. However, when I was a high school student. I noticed most of my friends watched football. They kept talking about their favorite football players, about how great the game was last night, when is the next awesome match and wispering about gambling. I heard such a conversation everyday and sometimes I thought football gambling may not that bad. Most of my friends did it...it seemed cool isn't it...I even thought about joining the game sometimes.

Money was not the main reason that made me wanted to join the gambling. I wanted to join it because I wanted to be cool and being accepted among my friends. That time, I just want to imitate my friend behavior.

However, Imitating is not the only reason of the football gambling. This is just what really happens to me. But I did't join it, finally, because as I told you I am soooo stingy....

Thirayut
BUHM (-"-)

Kop said...

I love Man U, I also cheer for Liverpool. Moreover, I just like them but I do not watch the game. Ha..ha..

I have a few friends who really fond of one of these two teams. When the two teams play against each other, it will be a big match. However, these friends of mine do not do gambling.

I think Thai people love gambling, whether it's a football game or lotto. Gambling nature is in our blood.(more than Buddha nature) I think they enjoy the time of adrenaline hormone comes up when they cheer. In fact, the endrofine hormone would make them happy if the team they bet could win.

May god be with Thai people,
Make them win,
Over and over,
Until...
............ (please fill up the blank)