Thursday, May 3, 2007

WHAT grade DO YOU GET?


"What faculty do you prefer to study?" I asked my cousin, she is about to entrance to the university next year. "I'm not sure yet...may be, humanity, English major...but I'm not very good in English. However, my English grade is much better that my Math" she replied me. I wondered "why my cousin soo rely on her grade?"

I think, not only my cousin who worry about the grade but many students as well. I must confess that I was one who used to worry about it too. But after I got B from the liturature class, the class that I like the best, I was soo up set with it. But it doesn't stop me to do what I like; reading novel. I later realized that I got B because I did poorly at the exam and my final paper. But the exam and the paper were not everthing about liturature. Then I realized what really important is my attitude toward the subject and my ability not my grade.

I think attitude is important in studying. You have a good attitude about the subject, you try to do the best paper of yours, you get the feedback from a teacher, you know where to improve and your skill will be improved. In contrast, if you don't like it and your paper is just "on time submiting" the teacher's feedback will hardly help you to improve your skill because you don't try to do your best at the first hand.

Your attitude will motivate you to learn and help improving your skill. the grade is something to evaluate what you have study in the class. it's not everthing.

What if I graduated with A from the speaking class but I hardly expressed my opinion and said no word during the company meeting. What is the use of that A?

After my cousin replied my question. I just asked her back "SO, WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO STUDY THE BEST?"

(-"-) BUHM
THIRAYUT

4 comments:

dEKMORE said...

I agree with Buhm that a positive attitude towards the subject which we would like to learn is the first thing we must consider when we have to further our study. The good attitude gives us the motive to learn. We are eager to study even though we realize that we are not good at that subject. The attitude could drive us to reach the goal. Each person's goal is different. For me, my goal is to grasp more knowledge as much as possible - not getting the highest scores in every exam.

Trying to get the high grade creates stress to students. It seems like we are in the war - fight for the grade.

Thai students usually pay attention to the grade because it is another factor which would be considered when they want to get a job. As Bhum said that "havingthe good grade" does not mean you will be successful in your work. If you have lots of abilities but you are not dare enough to use, it is helpless.

Grade is just one fillter which reflects the result of our study. It is just one point of view of out teacher or lecturer. So, don't take it so serious.

Wanvisa

dEKMORE said...

Kop said....

I got poor grade when I was studying sceince in Bachelor degree. But I did great when I was in high school. I think the reason was 'how much I like to study?' In high school, I really loved studying. I loved science. I got good grade in maths, physics, and bios. These reinforced me to study more. In university, I hate school. I hate studying because it was so boring. In one class contained with 100 students. Teachers were only bubbling in classes. They did not pay much attention to their students. However, I didn't care much about the grade. I only care how much I can use my knowledge in daily life.

I could say that I did not use my knowledge I got from the university at all. Like Robert Fulgum said on the title of his book "Everything I know, I learn from kindergarten." I totally agree.

I think if we enjoy what we are studying, we will do it best for the exam. Then we might get a good grade at a result. Especially, if we know the subject is usful in our life, then we want to learn more about it.

Anonymous said...

I also like literature class and I got B last semester.Anyway it doesn't make me like literature less.I don't care much about grading now.If you feel happy about the subject you are studying then you gain profit from it.
I also like drama literature,you should attain it if you can.It is very sensitive and it deals with complicated issues in our real lifes very well.
I agree that if we really like the class we study it should help we to have good a grade but if we already try but don't recieve so good grade,we should not be discoraged.
At least,we should realize that we have learned something and we should not forget all of it after finish studying.We should analyze what we can benefit from it instead of focusing on good grade.

If we think about grading too much,it would not be fun to study much.

dEKMORE said...

As I have grown up in poor family, I think grade is a little bit important for me when I have been considered to get a scholarship to further my study. I really mean that only one small point of view toward the grade.I think it is not much more important than ability to learn, apply or use those we have learnt in our life and work. Then best grade you should get is the grade given by your own life in the end.
Getting worse grade than others doesn’t mean you have lower ability or skill to live in this world at all.

Ech----> Suwinai